Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Fading...

As the colors of summer are fading, I am thinking of my mom in the care center.  Last night she did not know who I was.  This has happened before and, after sitting with me a few minutes, she'd come around and recognize me.  Not so this time.



She fell again last Friday.  This was her 7th fall and the 3rd that required an emergency room visit.  She has suffered head lacerations three times.  Each fall has acerbated her mental condition...age-related senility.  The problem with this type of senility is that it results in aggressive physical and emotional outbursts and patients often require sedation.  I am in awe of the physical strength that has come from this 97 year old 100 lb. woman during these episodes.  During this last ER visit it took three nurses to hold her down while the doctor stapled her wound closed.

It is amazing to me how much the human body can endure.  I have prayed that she is happy and comfortable...so many prayers .  I'm now asking God to find a safe place for her.

We once had a conversation about death and I asked her if she was afraid to die.  Her response was no.  She commented that she has had a good long life.  God had been good to her.  She is a strong woman.  I laugh and think...that must be the 'Russian' in her.  I hope she passes her strength on to me.

7 comments:

  1. I know what you are feeling. My mom passed last Feb, she had her fair share of everything including alzeimer. During the last week of her life she asked too see everyone including the great great grand children. She did see everyone and remember everyone. The morning she went, I was with her; she opened her eyes, smiled, and left. I pray for you, never forget that they know you deep down..

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so sorry you are going through this right now. Sorry about your mother. I wish there was something I could say that would help.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Something tells me that you are indeed a strong woman!

    ALOHA from Honolulu
    Comfort Spiral
    =^..^= <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so sorry. Thank goodness for the "Russian" in you!

    Nice photo, as always. I remember Helmetta Pond!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the photo....but do I feel for you as you watch your Mother hurt....prayers for both of yall

    ReplyDelete
  6. So sorry for what you are going through. Praying for peace and comfort.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Helene, your post made me cry... I wish there were something I could do to change things for your both... bless you for loving and caring for your mom as you do... time is precious and a gift from the Lord... xo {{{hugs}}}

    ReplyDelete

I may not always have a chance to say it but I do appreciate your comments. I would love to hear from you and please stop by again!