Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Decisions, decisions, decisions...

Do you have trouble making decisions?  I usually don't.  When I've made up my mind, I'm usually pretty quick to act.  This only changes when I analyze my decision/desires with friends; 'analyzing' being discussing at great length.  After these conversations, I'm usually confronted with additional data/information that makes me think twice about my original decision.

And so it goes...I'm hankering for a new piece of camera equipment.  Yes, I know I don't need it.  But, when things have been leaning towards the extreme negative in my life, I gravitate towards retail therapy.  And I never regret retail therapy.  Actually, and in all honesty, I've never regretted much, if anything, in my life.  It's all a 'learning experience,' but that's another story for another post.

The question at hand...to purchase a lensbaby lens or not?  I've done the research, read the history of the lens, looked at reviews, searched out tumblr for sample shots and then I had the 'conversation' with Angela (http://besoterio.tumblr.com/).  Angela is often my conscience when it comes to camera equipment and then there are those times when we are 'partners in crime,' aka...a bad influence on each other.  Our motto:  See it, want it, buy it!  When she reads this, I'm sure she will be recalling the infamous camera bag purchase we both regretted.

Angela and I both use Nik Software but she is far more familiar with the workings of this set of post-processing photo programs.  She pointed out that I just may get the same effect using one of the programs/filters in Nik as I would with a lensbaby lens.  So I'm hunched over my computer trying to replicate what I think might be a lensbaby effect.  Here are the results.  The jury is still out.  I'm just hoping I don't miss the special sale B&H is currently offering on a nice lensbaby package deal.


Straight out of the camera...converted from RAW to jpeg...no editing.
 
Blur vignette applied in Nik Software with focus point centered on flower.

What do you think?  And while you're thinking, I hope you're enjoying this outstanding fall weather we (East Coast) are having.  Hopefully some fall leaf photos will follow soon...before we are covered in snow!

8 comments:

  1. I've thought about a lens baby, but decided their were other lenses I would use more. One 'odd ball' lens I use quite a bit is a semi-fisheye...

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like an emotional issue, not a photography issue. If money is no object, then buying it is fine. I think it depends, though, on your true need for the lens. Is this an area of photography you specialize in, or plan to? If not, and you buying out of a state of depression, I wouldn't buy it. I'd deal with my depression in other ways than buying something you don't need. That's like eating chocolate because you're sad. Not a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Richard, you've read way too much into my post. There's no depression here. And if I need someone to analyze me, I'll head over to my Employee Assistance office at work. Let's all lighten up!

      Delete
    2. Peace and good thoughts to you Richard!

      Delete
  3. What on earth is a lensbaby lens?! I have to read up on that one! I'm not really a gadget enthusiast in photography or anything else in my life -- although I bought my "good" camera and two "good" lenses, that's as far as it's gone for me, so I'm probabably not a very good person to give advice here. But I would say, if you have the money and you want it, why not?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Helene, I'm sure with you on loving new gear! I have had a lens baby composer for a few years and have hardly used it. It's just too "strange" to me. However, if I had not bought it I would still be drooling. Live and learn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't bought any new camera gear in a while. The jury is still out on this. Right now I'm doing research to see what you can actually do with this 'toy' and I'm also taking a closer look at Lightroom5 to see if I can duplicate results. To be continued....LOL

      Delete

I may not always have a chance to say it but I do appreciate your comments. I would love to hear from you and please stop by again!